Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Three Weeks

-I am not only down to my pre-pregnancy weight, I'm at my training-for-marathon weight. However, I am also at a super flabby plus (with extra flabby!) version of that weight.

-Sophie passed her hearing test in both ears. At the hospital she first didn't pass in either ear, then passed the right ear only. I wasn't too worried, it was clear she could hear us and she startled at sudden noises, but it's still nice to have an official stamp on that.

-The other night I awoke with a start at 4am convinced that Sophie must have stopped breathing because that was the only explanation for the fact that she had slept since 12:30 am and not woken me up a few times for a feeding. On one hand, that means she is sleeping better through the night. On the other, that pretty much indicates how crazy our schedule has been lately.

-Then yesterday she fed every hour from 6am to 6pm. With breastfeeding and diaper changes and so on I basically wore her all day long and was desperate for a "I sleep when she sleeps" nap.

-She is sleeping now so I am able to blog. As a trade off, I have not showered or changed out of my pajamas yet today.

-She will take a bottle now. She isn't crazy about pacifiers, which is probably just as well. She's discovering her hands, which she loves to put in her mouth, especially when she's hungry. This sometimes makes it difficult to actually feed her.

-We adore the faces she makes. From the monkey face to her smiles. When she starts smiling socially I'll be in big trouble.

-I was able to get her into the sling finally. Maybe she dislikes the fabric? The trick seemed to be swaddling her, then slipping her in when she was in a deep sleep. The more mobile options I have with her, the more I can get done, and I'm desperate to get things done. Even if it's just a load of laundry across the street.

-Saturday we took her to Mamalu, a baby/family friendly place near the park. It's clear we'll be spending a lot of time there from now on. I had goat cheese for the first time since I became pregnant, it was delicious. We met another couple with an older baby. They said we were doing fantastic to already be out and about with her at about two weeks, and said everything would get easier at four weeks. (I'll let you know.) It's this sort of interaction that reminds me that we're actually doing pretty well. And we're extremely lucky to have such a healthy agreeable baby.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tutu Sharon said...

You know, here in Hawaii, the doctors don't want the children 'out' until they are four weeks old. I always thought that was a little conservative.

Is Sophia only three weeks old? It's seems like months since I saw her last. My sense of time is really wonky. John asked me if she was walking yet.

Love to you!!!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Ruth Ann & Patrick said...

Wow, I can't believe she is already 3 weeks old! And congrats on getting out of the house early on!

We want to send you a little something else for Sophie. So, if there is anything you have found that you can absolutely not live without or something that might keep your days a little more sane, please let us know!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks Ruth Ann, I'll think about that. There are several little things I see, but I can't think of anything desperate at the moment. I will say she loves her kiddopitamus swaddler, and we already bought another in yellow. Maybe yet another one would be great as well.

Sharon, the general feeling here seems to be that it's fine to take her out, just don't let a ton of people handle her.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

the Kiddopotamus swaddler= the bomb, no?

10:04 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes, it is the bomb! Also, thanks for providing the correct spelling, as my spelling skills went out the window three weeks ago yesterday.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

that was blind luck on my part.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home