The Miracle of Life!
Okay. So you had to see that movie in the seventh grade. Maybe your parents even had to sign something before you saw it. There was a baby and it was...oh my...that's what...? Oh. Wow. Um.
And the girls closed their eyes and pushed their legs closer together. I'm not sure what the boys did. One revealed to me today that it helped him confirm he was gay.
Last week in preparing for childbirth class our teacher popped a video in and prefaced the show by saying not to worry, there was nothing really graphic in the video.
Nothing except the miracle of life, shown multiple times at different stages and sometimes seemingly in slow motion. And. Um. Wow. Um.
It was the trippiest thing I have ever seen. More insane than a David Lynch film. Disturbing but also, well, that's all where we come from, isn't it? I consider myself to be showering hippie friendly, very woo woo and all that, but I'm not sure that midwifery is the vocation for me. I'm really not sure I needed to see those visuals, right down to the examination of the placenta, or how anyone could consider them calming to a person about to give birth. This takes me aback, as I really dig the human body, what a piece of work is man, no shame necessary. It's not like I'm all "ew, girly parts" or that I believe gestation takes place in a test tube or that babies really look the way newborns look on television.
Birth is a miracle, and I'm all for it. But man, that was one video.
And the girls closed their eyes and pushed their legs closer together. I'm not sure what the boys did. One revealed to me today that it helped him confirm he was gay.
Last week in preparing for childbirth class our teacher popped a video in and prefaced the show by saying not to worry, there was nothing really graphic in the video.
Nothing except the miracle of life, shown multiple times at different stages and sometimes seemingly in slow motion. And. Um. Wow. Um.
It was the trippiest thing I have ever seen. More insane than a David Lynch film. Disturbing but also, well, that's all where we come from, isn't it? I consider myself to be showering hippie friendly, very woo woo and all that, but I'm not sure that midwifery is the vocation for me. I'm really not sure I needed to see those visuals, right down to the examination of the placenta, or how anyone could consider them calming to a person about to give birth. This takes me aback, as I really dig the human body, what a piece of work is man, no shame necessary. It's not like I'm all "ew, girly parts" or that I believe gestation takes place in a test tube or that babies really look the way newborns look on television.
Birth is a miracle, and I'm all for it. But man, that was one video.





5 Comments:
It looks a lot worse in the films than in real life. I was present at Taylor's birth. Took some pictures and immediately deleted them because they looked gross. But it wasn't gross in person. I was concerned about Desiree and her doctor not being there. Taylor started making her entrance while the nurses started recruiting us to help them with catching the extraneous birth stuff. You can't catch the birth energy on film.
I love that you two, me and eric are clearly the only people who look at this.
I'm checking in once in a while, too . . . just quiet . . . I love you . . .
Hi Carrie,
Tutu Sharon is mamaood. ~~/;=)
I love you too mom! Thanks for popping in!
We could probably post here more often too.
Post a Comment
<< Home