Wednesday, April 25, 2007

1 month

Sophie was born 4 weeks ago. Somehow time keeps marching forward. She'll have her 4 weeks appointment on Friday with the pediatrician, so I'm sure I'll have more to report then. Her grandpa, an uncle, and great grandma came to visit this past weekend, which was wonderful. I really enjoy her when there are lots of other people around. I enjoy her when we're at home alone too, but there are moments when we just feed, diaper change, feed, diaper change, feed that I admit it gets a little boring. You know, in between the moments when it's the most rewarding experience I've ever had. I'd love to play with her more, but there's still not too much playing you can do at this age. We play tummy time, and read a book, and walk around in circles in the apartment, and go for walks in the park. Just a pair of fresh arms can make a big difference. She's smiling a lot now, and she smiles when we smile, but I can't quite tell if these are social smiles or happening at the same time smiles. They still make us happy. She's also managed to roll over once from tummy to back, although that might have been a total fluke of hand positioning and physics. At the time she wasn't very happy to be on her tummy, nor was she very happy to be on her back. When we feed her bottles she puts her hands on either side and can almost hold the bottle up, but I'm not sure how normal this all is for her level of development. I also know it doesn't matter how quickly she does all these things, but I still want to make note of each first as they come.

Yesterday I read The Giving Tree to her. I cried almost the entire way through the book. Today we read Moo, Baa, La La La! instead.

I'm trying, for her sake, to not discuss her poop. Or to be a mother who talks about poop. I think that is where I am now though. I watch The View and am fascinated by baby poop. I'll just say that I have determined that all babies, even the ones who grow up to be super models and presidents, are capable of pooping a great deal, sometimes all at once, and often loudly.

We bought our plane tickets yesterday to travel to Texas for mother's day. Then we'll take a car to Oklahoma for the annual golf tournament Eric's family runs in memory of his grandfather. We're excited, but a little nervous to be traveling with Sophie at 6 weeks. The pediatrician's office said it would be fine to travel, although 2 months is more ideal. If you have any advice about flying with babies I'd be happy to hear it.

Until a few weeks ago my brother-in-law worked in the White House. He generously arranged to have President Bush send a letter to our daughter. We were extremely honored to receive a letter from the president, but also conflicted due to our politics. Yesterday our daughter received a letter from Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton. My brother-in-law is a genius.

Sunday we're having our open house for everyone to come meet the baby. I'm not sure if I'm being a bit too ambitious about this event, which I do tend to be with the baby lately. Whenever we have an outing I'll convince myself we're ready to go have dinner out in public all together about five minutes before she falls apart and seems to yell, "Apartment NOW!" That said, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Ann & Patrick said...

Yay! I am so excited to finally meet her! Patrick says "Fantastic!" Can't wait to see the Maxwell-Scott fam.

7:05 AM  
Blogger emjaybee said...

We flew with Nathan at 4 weeks...and he did fine. Slept the whole way...LaGuardia to DFW. May your trip go the same!

I was told then that newborns do this the best anyway. All I would tell you is to sit on the aisle with her and be sure that the toile

5:35 PM  
Blogger emjaybee said...

argh. That the toilet has a changing table.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Ruth Ann & Patrick said...

I saw this post on the Austin Newlywed board on thenest.com about flying with an infant and thought of y'all for this weekend.
http://tinyurl.com/2td3lo

Also, the link about 1/2 way down on that post seems like it has lots of good advice too:
http://tinyurl.com/293eez

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home