Minimax/Maxmax
For the past month or so there has been an ongoing mini-drama over the size of minimax. I'm meeting all the obstetricians in in the practice now, and one did a test with a tape measure to measure the size of my uterus and declared that it was slightly larger than usual for that stage of development. She had me retake the 1 hour glucose test which I'd already passed (but not the 3 hour test, so I'm grateful) to double check that I hadn't developed gestational diabetes. I hadn't. The tests results were perfectly normal. She also tried to send me to a specialist for an ultrasound and an estimated fetal weight. When I went to make the appointment they couldn't see me for over a month.
Up to this point I'd been measuring small by all standards. Not so small that I should worry, but slightly smaller than average. My doctor mentioned that I wasn't gaining quite as much weight as she would like (a first), but it was fine. I wasn't dieting. I was eating well and walking. From the way my hips revolted I could tell when minimax had a growth spurt. My gut told me everything was fine.
At my next visit my next doctor was shocked, SHOCKED to hear that I hadn't been to see the specialist yet. This new doctor wanted me to go that day. At this point I'd managed to get an appointment the following week.
Maybe this is the point where I'll sound like a bad future mother, but I had auditions scheduled the rest of the day and the entire following day. I was trying to work as much as I could in anticipation of not working later in the pregnancy. If there was something really wrong I would obviously drop everything. "You're fetus seems a little big" didn't strike me as being an emergency. Especially after this doctor measured my uterus and declared that it seemed normal for my new stage of development. We compromised and she canceled my appointment and made another one with a different doctor for a few days earlier.
When I got to the specialist he walked in, took one look and said: Baby is great! Baby size is good! Normal baby!
Then, at my last appointment my next new doctor told me that my baby was bigger. (Bigger than what? Not bigger than average, but on the higher side of the average range for this stage of development.) She said in a jolly way "I hope she's not too big to push out!"
I hope she's not too big to push out?
...
I hope she's not too big to push out?
...
That seems like a good thing to say to a pregnant woman.
I really like the doctors at my practice and I love my main doctor. I'm sure everything is going to be fine. All the tests point to healthy baby, which is the most important thing. You don't need to add comments about how big you were or your children were. I'm just going to keep eating and walking and I'm sure it will all work out as it should. You may consider this a public service announcement however, that if a woman is having by all accounts a normal sized baby, you should not suggest that her baby is going to be huge. It's not nice.
Up to this point I'd been measuring small by all standards. Not so small that I should worry, but slightly smaller than average. My doctor mentioned that I wasn't gaining quite as much weight as she would like (a first), but it was fine. I wasn't dieting. I was eating well and walking. From the way my hips revolted I could tell when minimax had a growth spurt. My gut told me everything was fine.
At my next visit my next doctor was shocked, SHOCKED to hear that I hadn't been to see the specialist yet. This new doctor wanted me to go that day. At this point I'd managed to get an appointment the following week.
Maybe this is the point where I'll sound like a bad future mother, but I had auditions scheduled the rest of the day and the entire following day. I was trying to work as much as I could in anticipation of not working later in the pregnancy. If there was something really wrong I would obviously drop everything. "You're fetus seems a little big" didn't strike me as being an emergency. Especially after this doctor measured my uterus and declared that it seemed normal for my new stage of development. We compromised and she canceled my appointment and made another one with a different doctor for a few days earlier.
When I got to the specialist he walked in, took one look and said: Baby is great! Baby size is good! Normal baby!
Then, at my last appointment my next new doctor told me that my baby was bigger. (Bigger than what? Not bigger than average, but on the higher side of the average range for this stage of development.) She said in a jolly way "I hope she's not too big to push out!"
I hope she's not too big to push out?
...
I hope she's not too big to push out?
...
That seems like a good thing to say to a pregnant woman.
I really like the doctors at my practice and I love my main doctor. I'm sure everything is going to be fine. All the tests point to healthy baby, which is the most important thing. You don't need to add comments about how big you were or your children were. I'm just going to keep eating and walking and I'm sure it will all work out as it should. You may consider this a public service announcement however, that if a woman is having by all accounts a normal sized baby, you should not suggest that her baby is going to be huge. It's not nice.





3 Comments:
Oh, my dear, you had me laughing so hard it brought tears. The only thing that bothers me is: did they ask how much your husband weighed when he was born or how much you weighed, etc. etc. The Gafford side of your family did not weigh under 8 lbs. All of us were big'uns. And from what you told me, your family did not spawn tiny infants. Since birth weight is inherited, that question should be appropriate, yes? Bebe Minimax will not be small. But since your mother had it in her (or got it out of her), you're in good shape!
I laughed too, not that the whole
situation is funny, but your wording was great. One little war story from your birth--one of the nurses attending me came in and suggested that the baby (you) was under stress. My doctor came in and loudly announced that you were not and never had been under stress and promptly replaced all the nurses!! It's a shame that these things happen to new moms.
You might give Jennifer a call--she
had some alarms raised, too that were nothing.
Thanks guys. I obviously want to take every precaution seriously, but I'm not a fan of all the big baby insanity I guess.
Post a Comment
<< Home