Thursday, May 31, 2007

She Speaks!

Not in English, not yet. Still, Sophie has been trying out her verbal communication lately in little babbles and coos, and she apparently gets angry if you don't speak back. She is delighted if you do answer. Evidently she's telling us the funniest baby walked into a bar joke in the whole world and no one has told her how to play it straight yet. It's most self-amusing thing after sneezing.

Shockingly some of her coos sound like speech. I know, I know, it's not. One time I swore I heard her call Laaaaa ooooo waaaaaa from the other room, which--what? Okay, I know, she didn't really call out my name, but it still freaked me out a tiny little bit like the story of the kid who just heard the baby Einstein Bach and then went and played it on the piano. What? It's freaky! Also this morning we were peering into her crib and she said something that sounded like "hi" over and over again and Eric proclaimed her a genius. I promise to try to keep the proclaiming of a genius down to a minimum.

Here's what she says most often and what I think it means:

Eh: These days it really does mean what the baby whisperer said. I have gas. Usually it's a burp. Unless she's in her bassinet. Then "eh, eh, eh, eh" is always followed by a loud poot.

Ah! Ah!: Either, "Hey, where did everybody go?" or "Somebody come change me!" or both.

Aaaaoooooo. Aaaaaaoooo. : "So a baby walks into a bar..."

No matter what she is trying to tell us, her tiny little voice is my new favorite thing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maxmom said...

That really is neat!! You talked early so it could be (not this early, but early). I really enjoy reading about your happenings!!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Tutu Sharon said...

Who said she wasn't a genius? Of course, she's a genius!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Also, I was reminded that the baby whisperer is the woman who wrote about baby schedules, not the woman who was on oprah that decoded baby speech who I always call the baby whisperer even though that isn't what she is called.

8:20 PM  
Blogger moto said...

I forgot to tell you, last night she recited the Gettysburg Address in perfect english.

Genius!

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home