Friday, May 25, 2007

8 and a Quarter Weeks

Oh ominous day. Oh day of first immunizations. Oh day, oh mighty day.

Sophie came off the scale at the doctor's today (where she weighed in at a magnificent 10 lbs 15.6 oz, a diaper short of 11 lbs) and promptly peed on me. I always travel with extra clothes for her, not I'll just have to remember to bring a change for myself.

Oh well, I said, it won't be the last time.

Sophie tolerated her shots fairly well. She cried big fat salty teardrops for a bit, but she recovered soon and was mostly okay for the car ride home. She slept a good portion of the day, then awoke at 3:30 to scream her fool head off for about an hour, as if she suddenly remembered the atrocity. Nothing but wearing her would sooth her, so I tucked her into the Bjorn and marched her around the apartment.

I'm sorry if I've mentioned this before, but as our apartment is long but limited in size, there isn't a vast amount of ground to cover when one walks Sophie back and forth. Walking back and forth, by the way, is her favorite all-time activity, followed closely by breastfeeding, passing gas, bicycling her legs to the Bicycle Race song, and talking to the dots on the wall above her changing table when being changed. You would think sleep would be on that list, but you would be wrong. While not sleeping, she really really needs to be walked back and forth along what has become the same tired stretch of apartment. I can no longer walk this stretch without thinking of National Lampoon's European Vacation. Look kids. Big Ben. Parliament.

Speaking of wearing children, I saw a link on my neighborhood parent's listserv that shows you how to wear a child in a sling. I've tried to wear her a few times in the sling, but abandoned it in favor of the Bjorn. After getting a few pointers from the internet I felt sling confident, which is probably half the sling battle. The other half is immediately going for a walk around the block to lull the baby to sleep.

I find it interesting that our culture, through Dr. Sears and Dr. Karp and so on, seems to be returning to a more tribal nature. Evidently in other more tribal cultures children don't HAVE colic (which Sophie might be launching into) partly because they wear their children and breastfeed them constantly and probably even have family beds. And I'm into it to a point. We're not really family bed people, but I like having her "co-sleeper that we use as a bassinet" right next to the bed. I like wearing her when it seems to make her happy and especially when it soothes a crying fit. I'll turn off the television. I'll even eye the Rudolf Steiner approach to learning and keep a look out for wooden toys. All of these things seem to turn away from a technological society. What I find so interesting about all of this is I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do with a sling if it weren't for the internet. No matter the mode, I often wear my daughter by the computer to check my email. In fact often it's the only thing that makes checking my email possible.

In other news, the official stats for the 2nd month appointment are as follows:
Weight (as mentioned): 10 lbs 15.6 oz (50% for age group)
Height: 23" (75%)
Head Circumference: 38 cm (25-30%)

She keeps growing steadily and according to the doctor has excellent head control.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

Sophie's likes and dislikes are right up there with Nathan's (although he likes bouncing more than walking, and if you can combine bouncing and walking that is pretty much ideal). He views sleep of the naptime variety as some form of infant torture and has been lobbying Amnesty International to get it abolished.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sophie still sleeps and eats on demand. Since she is mostly still (knocking on wood) sleeping through the night, I haven't tried to establish a routine or schedule with her. Thou shalt not fix what is not broken. There is a loose routine with the final bedtime (feed. wear. repeat as necessary.) but that's it.

I mention this because one of the nannies asked what her bedtime was and I just LAUGHED.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Oh, Nathan totally has a bedtime- but I think that is because he is almost always tired at exactly the same time, not because of any scheduling skills of mine. Nighttime sleep is (knock wood) not our problem.

As for naps, I decided this week to give up trying to follow the two hour nap rule OR the read his cues excessively nap rule since both seem to lead to nothing but an hour of attempting to get him to nap. Crazily, this seems to be working- he is on his second nap of the morning (in his crib, no less). Take that, Weissbluth.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Tutu Sharon said...

Eric didn't have a schedule. (He's an old soul and never needed one.) Since Sophia's parents are not schedule "freaks", she'll adapt to 'whatevahs'. Nannies tend to get them on schedules of some sort, so she'll get something anyway.

It will be interesting if she gets tummy problems right before I get there. (I may have incurred some sort of karmic debt.)

whatevahs.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Ruth Ann & Patrick said...

Welcome to my weight at birth! (10 lbs 15 oz) Yep, I was a big'n. And with Patrick weighing over 9 lbs at birth, I have a feeling I'm in for some trouble in the future...

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home