Thursday, May 03, 2007

She's not heavy, she's my baby...

Today Sophie spit up on my shirt, and then as I was cleaning her, on my face, dangerously close to my mouth. And the oddest thing is that I didn't immediately throw up. In my old life even seeing someone else throw up often sent me hurling. Motherhood brings you a stronger stomach and a tolerance for all sorts of things coming out of your child, as long as it's your child.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tutu Sharon said...

I wonder if motherhood alters you DNA somehow. I never really had a weak stomach, but I wasn't much on little children. I liked the terrible pre-teens. Hence teaching Jr. Hi when I was in my twenties. Now, I just go ga-ga over kids of any size.

We should do a study and sell it for a million...

9:30 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think at the very least there are hormones that effect the brain in serious ways. This is also why I can't remember how miserable pregnancy could be, or how painful labor was, or just how little sleep I got in the first few weeks.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Tutu Sharon said...

Does this mean that you're getting more sleep? Amen and Halleluyah! And pass the biscuits please!

By the way, the hormones on the brain thing - I agree about forgetful stuff. Otherwise, our species would get wiped out. And the hormones (or lack of them) may be responsible for my unconditional love of children. I think it also has a lot to do with recovering from low self-esteem.

But who knows? I still think we could get a grant for a study. Use all your friends, Gay, your mom, and me, and if we don't come to any conclusions, we could sell that sucker as a best seller!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes, more sleep! Not as much as the average human, but more than the parent of a week old baby!

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home