Another Disposable Alternative/Diaper Debate
My friend Christene told me about Nature Babycare Diapers as an alternative to other disposable diapers. They are also chlorine free, and well, here is the write-up from diapers.com:
I like 7th Generation products but I really didn't like their diapers, or the 365 diapers. The 7th Generation diapers aren't plastic free (I don't think the 365 are either), and they gave Sophie a diaper rash. Both are chlorine free, however. I really dig 7th Generation products in general, but not the diapers.
Another thing to consider is that even if a diaper is biodegradable, nothing degrades in landfills like they do in say, a compost heap. If 100 year old newspapers made of 100 percent biodegradable woodpulp have been found intact then a diaper would probably not fare much better. (Public Service Announcement: Do not compost poopy diapers. It is fine to compost wet diapers if they are biodegradable. Most disposable diapers are not biodegradable.)
I don't think this lets us off the hook to continue using Pampers however. There are still solutions to be found.
Maybe we can talk next post about the great cloth debate.
Product features:
-Award winning premium performance Eco-Friendly Disposable Diaper
-Kinder and more gentle to your baby and the environment
-Breathable and chlorine free with natural based material, for natural protection.
-Ultra-thin construction gives a non bulky fit, enabling your baby to move around freely
-Consumer pack based on natural renewable material. No oil-based plastics!
-Winner of the 06-07 Silver Award for "Best Disposable Diaper", featured in Mother & Baby Magazine, a leading UK baby magazine
Features and Benefits of Nature babycare:
-Chlorine-free absorbent materials – does not contribute to dioxin pollution
-100 % compostable back sheet – NO plastic - reduce the greenhouse affect
-100 % compostable distribution layer – NO plastic - reduce the greenhouse affect
-100 % compostable consumer packaging – No plastic - reduce the greenhouse affect
-No latex, fragrance, or TBT (tributyl tin)
The use of compostable material based on renewable sources is reducing the green house effect.
I like 7th Generation products but I really didn't like their diapers, or the 365 diapers. The 7th Generation diapers aren't plastic free (I don't think the 365 are either), and they gave Sophie a diaper rash. Both are chlorine free, however. I really dig 7th Generation products in general, but not the diapers.
Another thing to consider is that even if a diaper is biodegradable, nothing degrades in landfills like they do in say, a compost heap. If 100 year old newspapers made of 100 percent biodegradable woodpulp have been found intact then a diaper would probably not fare much better. (Public Service Announcement: Do not compost poopy diapers. It is fine to compost wet diapers if they are biodegradable. Most disposable diapers are not biodegradable.)
I don't think this lets us off the hook to continue using Pampers however. There are still solutions to be found.
Maybe we can talk next post about the great cloth debate.
Labels: green baby





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home