Saturday, May 24, 2008

13, almost 14 months!


The biggest change since turning one is that while Sophie still has the ability at times to play independently, her advances in mobility and curiosity mean that she needs to be supervised almost constantly. Of course no baby should be left unattended, but there was a time when she could sit in her crib and play for a bit while I checked my email in the same room and she wouldn't have managed to take her diaper off in the meantime. For instance.

She's not walking yet, but she's learned to climb. Her reach continues to grow. All those things we baby proofed by moving higher are no longer safe.

Actually a lot of our baby proofing has just been supervision. We've done almost nothing with the stereo for instance. We had furniture in front of it at one point, but then she learned to climb the furniture. It's not so much that she'll hurt herself with it. She just likes to turn it up to 11.

She's napping less regularly and sometimes less altogether.

All of these things leave less time for blogging. Sorry grandparents.

Sophie really enjoys music and dancing, even more than she has before. She is starting to imitate movements to songs in a way that is close to the actual movements. Percussive instruments are the best thing ever on Sophie's list. Maracas! Drum! Cymbals! If those aren't around, she can still entertain herself by throwing herself backwards on a soft surface, "The Nestea Plunge".

She's almost always incredibly outgoing. Neighborhood mothers often call her Smiley and several have remarked that she's adventurous and fearless. I know she isn't fearless by the way she still clings to me sometimes in new situations, but I'm inspired by her moments of boundless joy and abandon, and as always, honored to be Sophie's mom.

Honored, and tired.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tutu Sharon said...

Mother-tired. Ah, yes, I remember. That's why we have children when we're young. That's why we love being grandparents. When "we" get tired, the baby goes back to the parents. When Eric was Sophia's age, I enjoyed going to work. I needed the rest. Thank god for Mari Scott.

Anyway, blog whenever. I can hardly wait to see you folks - especially Sweet Sophie.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Ruth Ann & Patrick said...

I love that picture! Her eyes are just so clear blue - beautiful!

She was a lot of fun the two weekends we got to spend w/y'all. And, yes, definitely outgoing and friendly with people she doesn't know well. My heart fluttered a bit when she crawled up to me and reached her hands up so I would help her walk around.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home