Thursday, January 31, 2008

10 Months Update



I can't believe she's almost one. I have to constantly remind myself that my little baby is growing up. She's still a baby, but she can take on so much more than I think she's ready for. The truth of the matter is she grows and changes faster that I do--it's an inspiration really. I'm still stuck on my routine, the one I just settled into, the one where I feel like, "I get this!" She's ready for the next thing. "That was so two months ago, Mom." That's what she would say, if she was speaking actual words.

She isn't really, yet. She will stand in her crib and deliver orations with inflections that might impress both Lincoln and Douglas, raising her finger in the air to punctuate her thoughts. I just have no idea what she's saying.

She does have at least one word bright and clear. She knows who her daddy is, and she'll gladly point to him and declare his identity to whomever is in the room. This is a vast improvement over the days when she made similar declarations that she was fathered by the living room sofa or the television or a slice of cheese.

She has three teeth that have definitely arrived, and the second top tooth has just cut through. I feel for her here, the teeth are coming right after each other and the past few months seem to have brought bugs both caught and warded off. It's hard out there for a 10 month old. The sleep routine has definitely been disturbed, but each disruption seems to have a clear cause. Maybe we'll work more on helping her sleep through the night when she doesn't have several bones pushing their way through her gums.

She's figured out how to crawl on her knees, abandoning her secret mission belly crawl, and she'll pull up on anything vertical and some things that aren't, like a box, or her wooden block, or the floor. (In this case I guess you'd say she's pushing up.)

She eats what I eat, but she's still drinking formula which I try to avoid. I still worry that she'll choke on every new food I give her and she never does. A frightening portion of the food also ends up on the floor. I'm patient with this for now, some of this gravity stuff just can't be avoided.

Sometimes she finds it incredibly hilarious to drop things on the floor. If it's a toy, I no longer pick it up and if it's food it no longer gets replaced. She might have a lecture about the starving children of the world coming. For now, she's still a baby, unmoved by logic and rhetoric, but still damn cute.


Stats for this month:
Wt: 19 lbs 5.6 oz
Ht: 30 1/4" (she grew about three inches!)
HC: 45 cm

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tutu Sharon said...

My heart just beats wildly when I see her face!

That look she has (the picture with her in the red jacket), I call the "Sophie Look."

I love it!

Gad, I wish I were there!

11:13 PM  
Blogger Maxmom said...

She is doing so great!! Ah, yes, the dropping things period. I remember those days. Patrick used to take great delight in dropping things (especially glass things)
out of the grocery cart. Bombs over Randall's!! He got so tickled when they broke!!

You guys are doing a great job!!
It is good that you are stopping along the way to enjoy each new
Sophie event. They are precious.
You have a sweetie, there.

Lots of love.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Ruth Ann & Patrick said...

It's already been 10 months? Wow, that was fast!

She is so freaking adorable, I can barely stand it!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Tutu Sharon said...

One more comment about dropping things: If Mari Scott were here, she would tell Laura and Eric that Sophia is learning perspective. Sophia is not dropping things to irritate her parents - although it might seem so. There is a side benefit to the dropping thing and learning perspective: Sophie can watch her parents get red-faced, make-a-face, and listen to their witty comments.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home