Pomp and Circumcision
Last night was our final Preparing for Childbirth class. We learned how to bathe our children and change diapers and even discussed circumcision, though we don't have to worry about that as long as minimax stays a girl. Our crib is up (Eric declares it's nicer than our bed. I say we should probably get used to that.) and the co-sleeper is near the bed, although not yet tethered. I have a load of baby clothes sitting in a basket ready to take to the laundromat. Eric painted. There's still more to set up, more to acquire, but I'm oddly feeling more and more ready to have this baby. I'm not sure if I'm officially nesting, but I have been getting on my hands and knees a lot lately to scrub floorboards and behind furniture, so I probably am.
All this preparation for the baby has lead to our disposing of several boxes and bags of items we no longer need. And all that clearing of space has left me with a sense of...abundance, if that makes any sense. We keep clearing and there keeps being more to get rid of, and you can only do that for so long before thinking, how much do I really need?
And then of course I've been watching my Oprah, which lately is all about The Secret and the Laws of Attraction and how we should all be grateful for what we have. I don't need much. The baby needs 600 diapers apparently, but I'm pretty set.
It's been an interesting journey so far. For most of it I've realized that I have no preparation for this and have no idea what I'm doing and that having a child would knock me out faster than Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Then I tried to handle each step with a balanced view. After speaking with my doctor and clarifying that our philosophies are in line I'm forgoing a BIRTH PLAN for a loose birth plan, which means I have preferences but a perfect birth will be one where my baby and I are healthy, and part of that means being open to the steps that could possibly take us there. I guess I'm handling it like I tried to handle my wedding and more, how I ran my marathon. I want to finish. That's the goal. The surprising thing, after last nights class was the realization that we're starting to feel ready for this and not entirely unprepared. Not that we're experts of course, we're smart enough to know that we don't know much. Last night we discovered that we'll miss our ragtag class of first time parents. Also, diapering a doll will somehow do wonders for your sense of accomplishment.
All this preparation for the baby has lead to our disposing of several boxes and bags of items we no longer need. And all that clearing of space has left me with a sense of...abundance, if that makes any sense. We keep clearing and there keeps being more to get rid of, and you can only do that for so long before thinking, how much do I really need?
And then of course I've been watching my Oprah, which lately is all about The Secret and the Laws of Attraction and how we should all be grateful for what we have. I don't need much. The baby needs 600 diapers apparently, but I'm pretty set.
It's been an interesting journey so far. For most of it I've realized that I have no preparation for this and have no idea what I'm doing and that having a child would knock me out faster than Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Then I tried to handle each step with a balanced view. After speaking with my doctor and clarifying that our philosophies are in line I'm forgoing a BIRTH PLAN for a loose birth plan, which means I have preferences but a perfect birth will be one where my baby and I are healthy, and part of that means being open to the steps that could possibly take us there. I guess I'm handling it like I tried to handle my wedding and more, how I ran my marathon. I want to finish. That's the goal. The surprising thing, after last nights class was the realization that we're starting to feel ready for this and not entirely unprepared. Not that we're experts of course, we're smart enough to know that we don't know much. Last night we discovered that we'll miss our ragtag class of first time parents. Also, diapering a doll will somehow do wonders for your sense of accomplishment.





3 Comments:
My opinion regarding the pictures Eric sent of you: You're not big at all. You're just right.
And I should know because I am the Great Zelda.
Keep cleaning out your space. It's positively transformational!
Love,
Sharon
I've never actually seen the video. We just heard Oprah talk about it. To me the reasoning seems sound, but also obvious, although it's nice to be reminded of it. It all goes back to the reminder that we have a part in creating our lives.
Thanks for caring about gender confusion. :)
we skipped our last prepared childbirth class. If I had known there would be diapering involved... no, I probably still would have skipped it.
Post a Comment
<< Home